Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Evening all 

(Assuming there are at least one or two out there reading!) 

It's been an interesting start to the New Year, as I've been challenged with a sore back that will be reasonably comfortable for a day or two, then hellish to manage the next few days.  It can become unhappy very quickly, usually when I've been sitting in a chair that's not as supportive as it could be in particular places.

Often when I've had a sore back, I take it easy for a while and it settles relatively quickly.  Prior to the last 6 months, I'd also been having regular massages which seemed to help as well.  The massages have dropped off since I moved and this time the back issues have been a little more persistent, so I finally managed to find myself a therapist with the assistance of Google. 

I have to say Madilyn from NQBodyfix is awesome.  I had an appointment with her over the weekend and have another booked for tomorrow.  I've had more relief since then, than I have over the last 2 weeks so I'm hopeful the improvements will continue.

Yesterday I was also very excited to learn my blood pressure was down a little.  I'm one of these people who isn't keen on visiting the Dr and just going there is enough to bump my blood pressure up.  When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure some 7-8 yrs ago, it was around the 175 over 80 something mark and within a month or so, it had risen to 198 over 99 which I'm told it quite dangerous and can precede a stroke.  So I was put onto medication.  

In those years, we've still struggled to get it to a reasonable level and you can probably count on one hand the number of times it's been in the 140's.  Mostly it's been around the 150 and in the last 12 months, had been edging higher and into the 160's again.  

I needed my prescription renewed and given I've recently moved cities, I was seeing a new Dr.  I mentioned I can feel my blood pressure rising on the way to my appointment and it's something I struggle with.  So my first reading was 163 over 70 (the lowest the bottom number has ever been since I was in my 20's) and then after me talking about my nervousness around Dr's visits, he re-took it about 5 minutes later on the other arm.  I was pleasantly surprised and very excited to learn it was down to 148 over 72.  Still up a little but a distinct improvement on the last 12-18 mths readings.  So I'm feeling very encouraged and somewhat inspired by that to keep doing things that will help lower it.

A couple of little amusing/silly things I've noticed and heard this week.  One was a young guy yesterday riding his pushbike in peak hour traffic along a main arterial road.  He was riding with no hands and playing his guitar!!!!!  I wound down my window as I drove past to see if I could hear him playing and sure enough, I could hear him picking out a tune and strumming.  Not sure what he would have done if he'd had to react to a traffic situation suddenly!

The other amusing thing was hearing a nickname for a local hotel.. known as 'pickup a granny'.  Apparently due to the style of music that's played which seems to attract a mid-aged audience.  Can't say I've ever heard that terminology before!

Well that's about it from me for now.  I was going to write a little more but feeling a little weary so I will leave it for now.  Have to say the couple of days after New Year in Kuranda were beautiful.  Don't have a pic now, so will add one later on.  Have a great evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment