Thursday, April 29, 2010

A 2nd Thursday, 29 April 2010 post!!


Good grief, what on earth is going on here? Normally I can't manage to string two posts together on consecutive days, let alone two in one day!! Must be a full moon or something. Umm actually, I do believe it is a full moon, if not today then tomorrow if I remember rightly. Well perhaps that has something to do with it.

So the reason for this unexpected second post of the day? No major reason, a little insomnia to dislodge and I thought sitting up writing may help. I actually had a marginally productive day today, which is great considering I was home on sick leave (see previous post for way too much information on the reasons behind my sick leave).

If you happened to read my earlier long winded post, an Ernest post as a dear friend of mine might say, you would have read that I was planning a de-cluttering attempt near my desk area. I have to say I was successful in that endeavour. One small step for Marika and one big step for.... hmm, doesn't sound quite right does it?

It has, however, made me realise that my vision of completing an entire room in a single day might be a little more of a challenge than I'm up for, so I need to reframe that little vision of mine and perhaps look at something a little more realistic. Perhaps aim for certain parts of a room and maybe aim to complete a room within a time frame - a week or a fortnight or a month, depending on how much there is to be done.

I can be quite pernickety you know and quite ruthless when the mood finds me to declutter. All of this takes time too, I need to be sure I truly want what I'm deciding to keep and once I am, the remainder is gone! I guess that's the aim though isn't it?

Seeing as clutter is one of my least favourite things, yet one of the things I'm so good at accumulating, especially when living in house full of people which sounds kind of whacky as you'd think it would be the other way around, then it can become rather a chore this decluttering thing. One of those chores you continually put off for another day, as I've been doing for a number of months. I have no excuse now though as the summer is gone and the weather is slowly cooling, making it much more pleasant for doing these kind of chores. Well any kind of chores really. Summer and I do not get along, but that's a whole other story.

Earlier, while I was unsuccessfully trying to sleep, I was thinking about my friends. I read some beautiful posts today about a friend who died recently. These posts were all written by one of her close friends and were kind of a memory lane of their friendship. It was beautiful, poignant, heartbreaking, and inspiring. Inspiring in a way that makes me really treasure my friendships, which I've always done but this just reached me on another level.

And it made me remember some things I hadn't thought of in a while about a particular friend of mine that I met a few years back. We've been online friends for around 5 yrs and we've spent time together just once, but it was definitely memorable. He thinks the only thing I remember about my visit was the graveyards we visited. He continued my love of graveyards and reading headstones.. sigh. But no, that's not the only thing I remember.

I stayed in a motel for the first night of my trip as he was commuting for work and we had to drive the next afternoon to get to his place. He came in to where I was staying that night and brought me chocolates. I don't think anyone has done that for me before. And they were one of my favourites, so that definitely put him on the Christmas list!

He took me out for dinner, to some type of asian restaurant. I can't remember exactly where or what it was, although I do have a vague recall of it being in a street on a slight hill. We had some steamboat type of dish, something I've never had before but it was delicious. Talked and talked, he went to the bathroom, then later I went to the bathroom.

When I came back to the table, he says, are you ready? Lets go. So I'm not moving real fast thinking we were about to pay for our meal and he suddenly says quietly, c'mon, lets get out of here! And he kinda nods his head towards the door. As we get out the door, he starts running and says c'mon, hurry up and I'm trying to say.. but what about paying? And he's still running and laughing.. and I eventually realised that no one had seemed at all perturbed, no one was chasing us, and I was the only one concerned. He'd obviously paid while I was in the bathroom but boy did he put the wind up my sails for a moment there. I grin whenever I think about that still!

We also went to a little local pub one night, actually a couple of times but the first time we were there and were just yabbering on about all kinds of weird things and I don't know how but somehow we started talking about geology. Now anyone who knows me, knows I'm geographically challenged at times and once you start talking geology and rock formations, then I'm completely lost. But we had this in depth discussion on geology, by the time we left I could even remember a tiny amount of it, however, if he were to ask me now? Jeepers, I'd have to do a quick google search in attempt to get my facts straight!!

Ok, so I'm rambling and it's probably time to finish this post. Who knows? I might share more about some of my friendships during my blog. Reading the posts about Amy today made me want to preserve those memories somewhere, even if it's in an online blog, just in case my memory totally deserts me someday. I guess then I'd be unable to recall the blog anyway but perhaps someone else may enjoy it.

Not sure what pic I can add to this post, unfortunately I don't have any pics of my friend and I but I may be able to rustle up one from somewhere on my trip down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment