Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hello to any readers lurking out there!

I've had a little quiet time of late, so haven't posted for a couple of weeks. There has been lots happening as always, but I've also had some time dealing with a past trauma that popped up to bite unexpectedly.  

I know full well the importance of trying to deal with trauma when it happens, I work with it and I work with people affected by it, but thought that I was ok and didn't need to do so.  I thought I'd effectively dealt with mine all those years ago when it happened and that the issues were done and dusted. Essentially in many ways they have been, as I've not had any major lingering after effects from the initial incident.

Then about a month or so ago, I found myself in a situation that brought all that stuff screaming back.  Even though the situation was different, there were a few similarities, enough it seems to be somewhat of a trigger and I had a fairly big reaction to it which caught me completely off guard.  I was totally unprepared for it and couldn't believe it was happening.  I thought I was fine and had been fine for a very long time.  The initial incident was something I rarely thought about anymore.  So it was bit of an eye opener to say the least and quite a learning curve to realise I was not immune to these things that sometimes come back to haunt us, even if it's just for a short time.  

It was bit of a roller coaster ride there for a couple of weeks, but I finally did some talking about it and was given help to learn some strategies of dealing with it which I found useful and effective.  The good thing is, I also learned what my trigger point is and I know that the way I reacted was a good thing, I didn't freeze as I'd done in the initial incident and I was able to remove myself from the situation fairly quickly.  For me, it was good to know I can do that, even if it is on auto pilot.

In other goings on, my accident prone son has been at it again!  He fell off a ladder a week ago and fractured his heel.  He is in plaster for another 5 weeks and not overly appreciative as he was to start work for the ski season down at the Snowy Mountains in 3 weeks time.  He assures me he is still going down there and he wants his new employers to know he is serious about the job and will start as soon as he has a clearance.  Hopefully it all works out well for him, as he is a determined soul.

Well that's about it from me for now.  Today's pic is one I took a few weeks back out at Wellington Point.  You might be able to see the balloons in the sky.  There was a bunch of young people out there when I arrived, all holding helium balloons.  I'm guessing it was some type of memorial for a loved one. They were there for a little while before they all released their balloons at the same time.  It was such a beautiful few moments watching the balloons all rise and move across the sky.  





No comments:

Post a Comment