Thursday, May 1, 2014

And another week has flown by!  Hard to believe it is now the 1st of May.  I seem to keep saying that, is it a sign of age?  As a child, I used to think my mother was nuts when she said how fast the year was going, now I'm finding it goes lightning fast.  When your kids start commenting how fast the year is going, that's when you feel a little old! 

All that aside, it's been another full on week both with work and home.  My work is always challenging but the political climate at the moment certainly has a huge impact.  Over the last 6-12 months particularly, it's been like a race to the bottom with our political parties as to who has the least humanity when it comes to some of our most vulnerable people seeking help.  The level of cruelty and punitive measures that have been put in place are beyond words.  Each time we've thought it surely can't get worse, it does and I find it really disturbing on so many levels that we have successive governments (and many in this govt who purport to be Christian) who think this is ok.  People who used to pay lip service about being solidly against the very things they are now introducing. It's sickening.  And makes one feel deeply ashamed of what's being done in our name.

So in an attempt to find some perspective, it's about seeing what we can do within that climate.  What are the little things we can do that may help someone get through their day and cope with their burdens and this limbo they are living in indefinitely.  And it's the little wins we have that make the difference.  For these people to know that someone cares makes a difference and even though there are restrictions on what can be done, we can be creative in finding other ways to help build their capacity, be able to live a meaningful life when so much is in turmoil for them and bring a little joy into their lives. The resilience of some of these people is both humbling and inspiring.  I feel that I'm where I'm meant to be and it encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing, making my life meaningful in some small way.  

When working with all of that, it also means my down time and self care is really important.  To take time out not only for reflection, but quite time, grounding time and some fun as well.  Last weekend I strongly felt the need to be grounded again, so took a day and went for a drive up into the mountains.  We (my friend and I) stopped at a little cafe with a magnificent view and soaked up the scenery.  It was beautiful and very relaxing.  We spent a little time driving around and enjoying the mountains.  I find so much pleasure in those simple things.

From the mountains, we went to the beach and enjoyed a light lunch before a paddle.  I love the feel of walking on the sand and the water over my feet.  A pelican came over close to join me and just seemed to be keeping me company.  The day was just what a I needed to refresh.  On that note, I will finish here and hope you're having a good week too.



No comments:

Post a Comment